SCORM-compliant courses must be able to communicate with TrainTraq in order to properly bookmark and send completion statuses. Once you have completed the development of a new course, tested, and published it, you will then need to test the course in the TrainTraq testing environment before releasing it in the live TrainTraq system. If you do not have access to the TrainTraq testing environment, please contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu.
Once the course is loaded into the test system, tests should be performed to answer the following basic questions:
- Does the course open in a timely manner?
- Does each page/slide within the course display as expected?
- Graphics look ok?
- Text clear and readable?
- Videos play?
- Links and documents active and display in separate window?
- If there is audio, does it play at the quality expected?
- Do navigation buttons function properly? Test Play/Pause, Forward, Back, etc.
- Does bookmarking work? (if applicable) For example, if you close out of the course on page 10 and then reopen it, does it start you on page 10?
- If course allows you to view pages in any order, do the pages display appropriately if you skip around?
NOTE: All of the above should be tested using different browsers and operating systems, if possible. Specifically, you should consider testing using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Google Chrome. It is also helpful if more than one person participates in the testing. The more you test, the more likely you are to identify and resolve issues prior to the release of your course.
Another part of testing is to check that the course is successfully communicating course information, such as completions and bookmarks, back to TrainTraq.
To test completion recording, there are a couple of scenarios which should be tested.
Test #1: Assign the course to yourself and test for proper completion and removal of assignment
- As a Training Administrator, assign the course to yourself.
- Switch to the Employee role in TrainTraq.
- From the Home page, click the Start button next to the course name.
- From the Course Details page, click the Start Course button.
- Click Confirm.
- Go through the first several pages and then close out of the course.
- Go back to the Home page to check if your assignment still exists (Answer should be yes because you haven’t completed the course)
- Reopen the course and complete the final quiz, if applicable.
- Once you get to the final page, follow the closing instructions (if applicable), and close the SCORM Player browser window.
- Click the Transcript tab and make sure the completed course is listed on your transcript.
Test #2: Test that the course resets the bookmark (if applicable) and the completion status is reset to Incomplete
- As a Training Administrator, go to the Employee tab and click Transcripts.
- Click Employee Search.
- Search for your employee records, click Search.
- Click Select.
- Click the red Withdraw button next to the proper course completion.
- Enter Reason, and click Confirm Withdraw.
- Under the Employee tab, click Assignments. You should see your assignment reappear.
- You are ready to repeat Test #1.
Test #2 Questions:
When you opened the course, did it take you to the first page of the course or did it ask if you wanted to resume where you left off? If it took you to the first page of the course, then the course bookmark was reset. This is the desired result.
Did the course record a completion and remove the assignment after completing ALL the steps of Test#1? If so, then the course properly changes the completion status.
If the course has a test, fail the test on purpose. Did a completion record? If so, you may need to check your quiz or publishing settings.
Once the above scenarios have been tested and the course works properly, it is ready to be placed on the live TrainTraq system. You will repeat the steps to create and upload a new Online SCORM course in TrainTraq and should then repeat the two test scenarios again to be certain the course is functioning in the live system before announcing or assigning the new course.
If you need any assistance with the above testing procedure or have questions, please contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu.