The Courses page allows you to create new In Classroom courses to add to the catalog. In Classroom courses are courses that are presented in a live classroom setting.
NOTE: When an employee completes an In Classroom course, the instructor or other designated processor must upload a batch completion file to add a completion record to the employee’s transcript.
Before You Start
Before you add a new course, it is helpful to understand the fields you are required to fill out during the process. Below is a general breakdown of the fields seen on the Course Details tab when adding a new course.
|Course Name:||A unique, descriptive name for the course.|
|Owning Workstation:||Indicates the workstation who owns and maintains the course.|
|Keep Course Private to Workstation:||This checkbox should only be selected if the course should not be made available to other System Members—generally when it is so specific to your workstation’s processes that it is unhelpful to anyone outside of your workstation OR when the training course was purchased from a vendor as an individual site license that prevents you from sharing the course Systemwide.|
|Status:||This field will initially be disabled. Once the course is created, it will be placed in Review status until a Training Administrator switches it to Active.|
|System Requirement:||This field is used to designate that a course is required for A&M System employees. It can be set only by a System-level Training Administrator.|
|Allow External Gateway Users:||This checkbox is used to designate that an online course is available to users who are not A&M System employees. This is not applicable to In Classroom courses.|
|System Owned:||This checkbox is disabled as it is only intended for use by the System Offices Training team.|
|CEU:||This field designates the approved CEUs for the course. If none are approved, enter 0.|
|CPE:||This field designates the approved CPEs for the course. If none are approved, enter 0.|
|Course Contact Email:||This field designates the primary contact for this course. The Course Contact Email will be displayed on the Course Details page within the course.|
|Course Type:||This field indicates whether the course is In Classroom, Online SCORM, Online External, or Other. For additional information on the different course types, refer to the Course Types help topic.|
|Course URL:||This field indicates the URL of an Online External course. It should be left blank for an In Classroom course.|
|Survey URL:||This field indicates the URL of a course’s online survey, if applicable. When entering the URL, you must include either http:// or https:// at the beginning of the URL. This will generally be left blank for In Classroom courses.|
|CIS Course Code:||This field indicates the code used to identify a Workstation M (Texas A&M University) course that is also entered in the Employee & Organizational Development team’s CIS Course Registration System. For most System Members, this field should be left blank.|
|Description:||This field should be used to describe the course and its intended audience. In Classroom course descriptions should also include the course’s location and registration information. Additionally, the description should include words that can help users find the course when using the Course Search feature.|
Creating a New In Classroom Course
To create a new In Classroom course:
- Click the Courses tab. The Courses page displays.
- Click the Create Course button located below the “Filter results by:” section. The Course Management page displays.
- Complete the Course Name and Owning Workstation fields.
- If you do NOT want the course available to anyone other than employees of the owning workstation, select the Keep Course Private to Workstation checkbox.
- Enter the appropriate credit amounts into the CEU and CPE fields.
- Enter the appropriate address into the Course Contact Email field.
- Select In Classroom from the Course Type drop-down menu.
- If the new course has a survey associated with it, enter the URL into the Survey URL field.
- If the course being added is also entered into the CIS Registration System at TAMU, enter the appropriate code into the CIS Course Code field.
- Enter a detailed description of the course into the Description field.NOTE: If you are creating a classroom-based course, be sure to include in the description the location, including city, the course is held and instructions on how to register for the course.
- Once all information is entered, click the Save button at the bottom of the page. This saves the course details entered and the Notification Rules tab becomes available.
- Click the Notification Rules tab. The Course Notification Rules are displayed, including separate tabs for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Edit the Course Notification Rules as appropriate.
Completing the steps above creates the new course and places it in “Review” status. This allows you to review the details entered and make sure your course is working properly prior to making it available to employees. Once you are ready to make your course available in the catalog, return to the Course Details tab, click Edit, select Active in the Status field, and then click the Save button.
NOTE: If you would like your course to be automatically assigned, one or more Assignment Rules will need to be created. Please contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu for additional information.