The following is information for TrainTraq Training Admins and course creators who intend to develop Web-Based Trainings (WBTs) for use in TrainTraq. WBTs are uploaded to Online SCORM course listings in TrainTraq.
Before you begin
Contact your System member’s designated Training Contact to learn about your System member’s requirements.
If you are purchasing a WBT from a vendor, please review, Evaluating Vendor Web-based Trainings for SCORM Compliance.
Web-based Training Requirements:
The following items are required for all WBTs.
- WBTs must conform to the SCORM settings outlined in the provided publishing settings. Typically, courses are published using Articulate Studio or Storyline. If using a different authoring tool or purchasing a WBT from a vendor, please contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu before development or purchasing licenses.
- Must have an accessible alternative version available. It may be in the form of an accessible Word, PDF, or PowerPoint file.
- Once in TrainTraq, the course description must provide a statement that an alternative version is available and how to access it. It’s recommended this information is also added to the first slide of the course.
- The WBT must be tested in the TrainTraq (Trunk) instance to confirm completions record properly before uploading to Production.
- Contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu and copy your Training Contact to request access to this site.
- Add the course to TrainTraq (TEST). For instructions, review Uploading an Online SCORM course to TrainTraq (TEST).
- Once the course is uploaded, follow the testing procedures outlined in Testing a SCORM-Compliant Web-based Training (WBT).
Resources on how to create an accessible alternative version:
(Note: if you’re having trouble downloading resources in Google Chrome, please switch to another browser. Sorry for the inconvenience-we’re looking into it)
Templates and Guides
- PowerPoint Accessibility Guide – this is a PowerPoint Guidelines document. It provides instructions on how to develop an accessible PPT and provides example slides that you’re welcome to use.
- Text Version Guidelines – this is an instructional document on how to develop an accessible text version in Word and provides an example layout. This document explains how to use the following Text Version Template.
- Text Version Template – this is an example layout of a text version of a course and serves as a Word template. The Text Version Guidelines Document above explains how to properly format this document. If you choose to provide a text version, you are not required to use this template.
- The following articles on Word and PowerPoint Accessibility from WebAim.org.
Video Tutorials for Microsoft Word
- Video: Accessibility Overview in Microsoft Word 365 (4:12)
- Video: Applying Header Structure in Microsoft Word (3:18)
- Video: Enhancing Accessibility in Word: Font Size, Line Spacing, Lists and Margins (4:32)
- Video: Adding Alt Text to Images in Microsoft Word (1:47)
- Video: Using Accessibility Checker in Microsoft Word (1:23)
- Video: Enhancing the Accessibility of Tables in Microsoft Word (1:55)
Video Tutorials for Microsoft PowerPoint
- Video: WBT Requirements and Best Practices for Use in TrainTraq (3:21)
- Video: Creating an Accessible Alternative Version in PowerPoint Overview (5:02)
- Video: Using Slide Layouts and Masters in PowerPoint (4:56)
- Video: Using Accessibility Checker in Microsoft PowerPoint (1:21)
- Video: Adding Alt Text to Images in Microsoft PowerPoint (2:09)
- Video: Adding Descriptive Links in Microsoft PowerPoint (1:40)
- Video: Enhancing the Accessibility of Tables in Microsoft PowerPoint (0:58)
Preferred WBT Criteria:
In addition to the WBT accessibility requirements, the following criteria is preferred:
- WBT has been reviewed using the following Accessibility Checklist, and updated accordingly.
- WBT has been tested using a screen reader. The NVDA screen reader is free (donations recommended).
Uploading WBT to TrainTraq
Once the WBT has been properly tested, work with your System member’s designated Training Contact for the course to be uploaded to TrainTraq. If you are the designated Training Contact, you can add the WBT to TrainTraq in your Training Admin role. If you have any questions, please contact TrainTraqHelp@tamus.edu.