- Select BusinessObjects from your SSO menu.
- Select the Documents tab in the top left.
- Navigate to the BusinessObjects folder where the report is located.
Note: Before continuing through the scheduling process, it is helpful to check the report to ensure it will be dynamic. For example, if your query filter includes “Fiscal Year = 2022”, it would no longer work properly in Fiscal Year 2021. Instead, attributes from the Run Date folder should be used to filter by “Fiscal Year = Current Fiscal Year”.
- Right-click on the document in the folder and select “Schedule”.
- Give your instance a name that will indicate the purpose of the scheduled instance. For example, if you have a report of expenses for a given department, it is helpful to name the instance after the department that will receive it.
- Select Recurrence from the menu on the left to set up the frequency.
- First, set the Run object so the system knows how often to run the instance. It is possible to set many kinds of frequencies (run every 10 minutes, on the 3rd Sunday of the month, every 2 weeks, etc.), however, it is recommended to use a Calendar when appropriate. When “Calendar” is selected, a drop-down menu will appear allowing you to choose a specific run calendar. For the selected calendar, dates highlighted in green will indicate the schedule for that calendar. For monthly financial reports, the FAMIS Calendar is a good way to let the report run as soon as the prior month is closed.
- If the Start Date/Time is in the past when you are finished scheduling (even by 2 minutes), be aware that the schedule will be run once when you save this schedule. To avoid this, choose a date/time in the future when you’d like the schedule to begin.
- The End Date/Time will default to 10 years in the future. Although this seems like a long time from now, be aware that the scheduled instance will go away on that date and cannot be recovered. Choose a year like 2099 to prevent this.
- If your query includes prompts, you will see “Prompts” on the menu on the left side of the window. Use this screen to select a value for each prompt that will be used each time the report is run.
- Select Formats from the menu on the left to choose which format the document will be delivered in. Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat are the most common selections.
Note: selecting CSV could result in some unexpected formatting. As a scheduled instance, the CSV format is intended as a raw export of the query results and does not take into account report formatting. We recommend using the Plain Text option instead.
- Skip the Caching, Events, and Scheduling Server Group settings.
- Select Destinations from the menu on the left to choose the delivery method of the document. Email is the most common selection.
Note: Leaving the “Keep an instance in the history” setting unchecked reduces storage strain on the system, but sometimes it is helpful as a temporary setting for troubleshooting purposes.
- When finished, click the Schedule button at the bottom-right corner of the window.