FAMIS and Canopy are applications that share a common database and share business logic. All changes are made in real-time and are immediately available in both applications. Canopy provides a clean, visual interface for inquiry and limited data entry. FAMIS provides more functionality for data entry and other functions but is not as user friendly as Canopy.
Entry available only in FAMIS
- Financial Accounting
- Account creation/modification
- Journal Entries
- Accounts Payable
- Voucher creation
- Vendor creation/modification
- Accounts Receivable
- Invoice creation
- Customer creation/modification
- Electronic Office creation/modification
Entry available only in Canopy
- Payroll Cost Transfers (PCTs)
- Departmental Correction Requests (DCRs)
- Transfer Department Property (TDPs)
Entry available in both FAMIS and Canopy
- Routing and Approvals
- ACH approvals
- Departmental Budget Requests (DBRs).
Should I choose FAMIS or Canopy?
The best solution depends on your needs. For data entry functions, FAMIS is likely the correct choice. If you are performing inquiries, Canopy will probably be the better choice. Inquiry in Canopy allows users to sort on columns in most displays, add filters and download transactions into Excel. For example, Canopy provides sorting on reference number or amount or filtering the inquiry to view a single transaction code, sub-code, or reference number.