This job aid outlines the process for an Employee to request overtime in advance in Workday and to view the status of the request.
All Employees who enter time can request overtime.
- In order to comply with System Regulation 31.01.09, employees need to request overtime in advance. However, employees still need to enter time worked in order to be paid for these hours.
- A Manager, Employee, or Timekeeper can initiate the request overtime business process. For more information on how to initiate this business process for your Employee, see the job aid Request Overtime for Your Employee.
- If a Timekeeper initiates the business process, the Employee and Manager will receive an approval step.
- The final section of this job aid shows how the Employee can view the status of overtime requests.
Note: The two tabs on this page provide information on upcoming and past overtime requests.
- In the Request Overtime window, different fields will appear based on whether you select Start/End Time or by Total Hours for Schedule by.
- The following fields will appear when Start/End Time is selected: Date, Start Time, and End Time.
- The following fields will appear when Total Hours is selected: Start Date, End Date, and Total Hours. Requests for overtime that are on the same day of the request will reflect as a past overtime request.
- Comment. Provide a reason why you are requesting overtime. This field is visible only to the Manager or Timekeeper approving the request.
- Additional Comment. This is the field next to your photo. As with the Comment field, you can provide a reason why you are requesting overtime. Unlike Comment, this field is visible to anyone with the appropriate security role.
- Select Submit.
Review Overtime Request (Manager)
Important: Once your hours are worked, be sure to enter your time accordingly. The total number of Hours worked would include your overtime hours for that date. Refer to the job aid Enter Time for details.
View Request Overtime Status (Employee)
- Repeat Steps 1 – 2 in the Getting Started tab.
- On the Past Overtime Requests tab, the overtime request status will appear under the Status column. Select the Magnifying Glass icon under the Details column for additional information on your request.
Note: The Overtime Request information will also appear on the Employee’s timesheet.
This completes the Request Overtime Time business process.