All requisitions are managed by the Recruiting Coordinator, Recruiting Partner and Manager of the Supervisory Organization within which the job requisition is housed. This job aid outlines the entire job application process from the Manager’s perspective and provides instructions for when a Manager can participate and move the Candidate forward to the next step.
The Recruiting Partner or Recruiting Coordinator has moved the Candidate to the Screen stage.
- Managers should speak to their HR representative within the department to find out who is the Recruiting Coordinator and Recruiting Partner for the Supervisory Organization where the manager is recruiting.
- The job application process includes six stages that vary by member: Initial Review, Screen, Interview, Offer, Background Check, Reference Check, and Ready for Hire. Managers can complete the Screen, Interview, Offer, and Reference Check stages of this process. However, managers should speak to their Recruiting Coordinators to find out how managers are involved in the job application process in their respective departments.
- A Candidate can be dispositioned at any stage by declining them for various reasons and will be notified automatically via email. However, a Candidate can be reactivated after being dispositioned.
Members may move candidates through the job application process in a different order than what is shown here.
- You can navigate to the Grid to review the credentials and experience of all candidates at once. Using the details provided in your Inbox, search for the requisition number in the Search Bar and select it.
Note: If no results appear, select All of Workday on the left hand menu.
- On the Overview screen, select the Candidates tab to see all candidates who have applied for the position.
Screen the Candidates
The Manager screens candidates by reviewing their skills, experience, resume, etc. Then the Manager decides to either move the Candidate forward to the next stage or disposition.
IMPORTANT: You can move a Candidate forward or disposition the Candidate from either the Grid or using the task in your Workday Inbox. However, all other actions to move forward or decline a Candidate must take place using the inbox task for each Candidate. Only the Screen step can be completed using the Grid.
Move Forward Using the Grid (Screen Stage Only)
- Select the checkbox next to the Candidate (you can select multiple candidates).
- Select Move Forward (or Decline).
- Select which stage you would like to move the Candidate to. This is referred to as “moving them through the grid.” In this example, the Candidate is being moved forward to the Interview stage.
IMPORTANT: Clarify with your Recruiting Coordinator the next appropriate stage for your department.
- Select OK. You will see the updated grid showing the Candidate in the stage they were moved to and who is waiting to take action.
Move Forward Using Inbox Task
You can also move the Candidate forward (or decline) from the inbox task.
- Navigate back to your inbox task for the individual Candidate you would like to take action on.
- Select Move Forward (or Decline). In this example, the Candidate is being moved forward to the Interview stage.
You and the Recruiting Coordinator receive the Inbox Item Schedule Interview.
During the interview stage, there are four tasks to do.
- The Recruiting Partner checks for duplicate records on external candidates.
- The interview is scheduled with multiple Interviewers (if needed).
- The interviewers rate the Candidate.
- The Manager analyzes interview feedback and makes the Interview Decision.
Schedule Interview Team (Recruiting Coordinator and Manager)
- From your inbox, select the Schedule Interview task.
- Enter a Date and Time Zone.
- Add or remove Interviewers as needed using the Plus Sign (+) and Minus Sign (−) icons.
IMPORTANT: As the Hiring Manage, your name will auto-populate in the first row and must be included to be able to provide feedback from the interview.
- The Recommended Interview Settings allows you to add parameters for the interview schedule that can be produced during the Schedule Interview Task for a Candidate.
- Earliest Start Time. This is the earliest an interview can start during the day.
- Latest End Time. This is the latest an interview can end during the day.
- Range of Dates. This indicates the time frame for which you would like schedules produced.
- Days of the Week. Select which days of the week are to be used.
- Enable Order of the Interviewers. Indicates which interviewers are required to fill specific interview spots based on the proposed interviewers’ grid.
- Location Selection is not needed.
- Enter an Overall Comment, if needed.
- Select Next.
- Use the calendar on this screen to schedule interview times. Selecting the Recommend Times For Me button analyzes the Recommended Interview Settings and presents sample interview schedules.
- You can also schedule an interview by left-clicking a specific time on the calendar.
- Select Next to review the proposed schedule and customize the message to the Interviewers.
- Select Submit.
- Select Done.
The Recruiting Partner will check for any duplicate records in Workday for the external Candidate (internal candidates do not require this step). Once this task is completed, the Interview Team receives the Give Interview Feedback task and you receive the Manage Interview Feedback task followed by a task to make the interview decision.
Give Interview Feedback (Interview Team)
Manage Interview Feedback
The Manage Interview Feedback task allows you to monitor the status of the interview process for a Candidate. Once the Interview Team has provided feedback, select Submit to launch the Interview Decision step for the Candidate.
IMPORTANT: The Mange Interview Feedback task should not be submitted until the necessary feedback has been provided by the Interview Team.
During the Offer stage, the offer is developed and approved, a document is generated, the Candidate accepts or rejects the offer, and the offer decision is made.
You, the Recruiting Coordinator, and Recruiting Partner receive an inbox item to initiate the offer. Any one of these individuals can complete this stage.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to communicate with your department how managers are involved in this process.
This step uses the Guided Editor to move through four sections: Start, Compensation, One-Time Payment and Summary.
- On the Start page, enter the following information.
- Hire Date. This is the proposed hire date for the Candidate. This date must not be earlier than the earliest hire date in the requisition.
- Location. This defaults from the job requisition.
- Document Language. This defaults to English.
- Proposed End Date. This is required for a Temp/Casual Worker.
- Business Title. This Defaults from the job requisition.
- Select Next.
- On the Compensation page, enter the following information.
- Salary (if applicable)
- Compensation Plan. Enter salary.
- Amount. Enter the amount in dollars and cents monthly the Employee will be paid.
- Frequency. Select monthly.
- Hourly (if applicable)
- Compensation Plan. Enter hourly.
- Amount. Enter the amount in dollars and cents hourly the Employee will be paid.
- Allowances (if applicable)
- Salary (if applicable)
- Select Next.
- On the One-Time Payment page, complete/modify the following information in the Summary section.
- In the Payment section, select Add.
- Payment Plan. Enter the type of plan (e.g., Education Reimbursement).
- Amount. Enter the amount in dollars and cents the Employee will be paid. You will only be able to add a payment amount after adding a Payment Plan.
- Worktags. Enter the Cost Center from where the funds will be withdrawn if available.
Note: The Send to Payroll checkbox should be selected by default.
- Select Next to review all the information entered.
- Select Submit.
To Do: Get Approval for Proposed Offer
Next you will receive a To Do that reminds you to follow all of your departmental procedures for getting necessary approvals outside of Workday (if applicable) for the proposed offer.
Note: This is for members who require additional approvals beyond those configured in Workday.
- Select the To Do Get approval for proposed offer.
- Select Submit after completing any member specific processes for approvals.
IMPORTANT: This To Do needs to be submitted to route the process to the Recruiting Partner for a consolidated approval.
The Recruiting Partner will review the proposed offer and either Approve or Send Back if edits are necessary.
Generate the Offer Document
When the offer is approved, you, the Recruiting Coordinator, and Recruiting Partner will receive a task in their inbox to Generate Document for Offer.
Offer letters vary by member with their own branding. You will see the offer letter template for your own member.
If you do not want to use the Generate Document feature in Workday, you can skip the step and it will not send the offer letter to the Candidate. (Do this by selecting the Gear icon in the upper right corner and selecting Skip This Task.)
Note: If the letter is generated outside of Workday, the Recruiting Partner or Recruiting Coordinator can upload the letter (generated outside of Workday) to the Candidate profile for documentation purposes.
- Select Submit.
The Candidate receives the offer letter. An internal Candidate will receive their offer letter in their Workday Inbox while external Candidates will receive it on their Candidate Home account on the external career site. The Candidate will reply to their inbox task either accepting or declining the offer.
Did Candidate Accept Offer?
Next you will need to answer whether the Candidate accepted the offer.
The Recruiting Coordinator, Recruiting Partner, and Manager receive the Offer Decision task.
You will receive an inbox task to move the Candidate forward or decline.
- Select the inbox task Offer for Job Application.
- Select Move Forward and select Reference Check, Background Check, or Renegotiate Offer.
During the reference check you will do three things. First you will conduct the reference check, next you will document contact information inside of Workday for whom you contacted, and lastly you will make a decision to move the Candidate forward or decline.
You will receive the inbox task Complete Questionnaire where you can add up to three references.
Note: This task serves as documentation for contact information only used to complete the reference check, not details of information acquired. Reference checks are completed outside of Workday.
Reference Check Decision
Based on your reference check you will decide whether to move the Candidate forward. You will receive an inbox task to make this decision.
- Select the inbox task Reference Check for Job Application.
- Select Move Forward and select Background Check, Interview, or Offer from the dropdown. In this example, the Candidate is being moved forward to the Background Check stage.
The Recruiting Partner will complete a Background Check on the Candidate and move them to Ready for Hire.
All remaining processes for the job application process are completed by the Recruiting Partner.
This completes the Job Application Process for Managers.