In the summer of 2012, as a result of several changes in federal law and other factors, the Texas A&M University system adopted new policies in regards to disclosure and training about Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) for research Investigators.
For questions about the TAMUS policy, consult: http://policies.tamus.edu/15-01-03.pdf
At that time a mechanism was needed to identify employees that were subject to the new disclosure and training requirements. It was determined that the following employees would be subject to these new requirements:
- Employees with titles that were marked as PI eligible in the TAMUS payroll/HR system (BPP)
- Faculty members with tenure.
- Graduate Assistants – Research
This criteria was adopted, but over time it has proved problematic. Exceptions and over-rides have been implemented by changing employee’s PI Eligible status – often leading to confusion.
In May of 2013 the decision was made to add a new indicator to the official employee records in BPP that would indicate if the employee was subject to the FCOI requirements. This flag has now been deployed. It can be managed:
- In BPP on the main employee maintenance screen (101).
- In the Time and Effort application. (Note, this application was chosen since this application was available for use by research administrators).
- It is hoped that management of this element will move the the Maestro application. However, that feature is not yet available.
This indicator can now be managed independently of each employee’s title, tenure status, and PI Eligibility. It is the responsibility of each sponsored research office to insure this flag is set properly.
The flag has initially been set for all employees to be true if:
- The employee is PI eligible
- The employee is tenured faculty
- The employee is a Graduate Assistant – Research
A screen print from the Time & Effort system is below: