The Texas A&M University System Online Privacy Standard
Online Privacy Notice
This Online Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to the information that we collect when you visit the A&M System main website (www.tamus.edu) and other websites that we own or control or who are members of the A&M System and link or refer to this Privacy Notice (together, the “Sites”). This Notice describes how this information is processed, as well as the choices that are available to you regarding the use of the information you provide.
Unless otherwise indicated on a specific Site, the A&M System or the applicable member (“member”) is the data controller for all information collected under this Notice. Contact information for A&M System members is listed at the end of this Notice.
Personal Information we Collect and Process
When you access or use the Sites, we may collect and process the following types of information from you:
“Personal Information” is any information that we can reasonably use to identify you. If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Personal Information includes all Personal Data as defined under EEA laws. This also includes information about an identified person, such as information linked to a data subject through other identifiers.
“Sensitive Personal Information” includes special categories of Personal Information (e.g., racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health, and data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation) for which applicable law provides enhanced protections.
The table below describes the Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information that we collect, why we collect it, and our legal basis for processing it.
|Purpose of Processing||Categories of Personal Information||Legal Basis|
|As part of the graduate and undergraduate admissions process, we collect applicant Personal Information to evaluate applications. We also may obtain Personal Information from third parties, such as other schools, references, family members, and education partners as part of an application package.||Name, address, contact details, race/ethnicity, demographic information, educational history, reference letters, and other relevant information as part of the application package||Legitimate Interest: Personal Information collected through the graduate or undergraduate application is necessary to evaluate candidates for admissions and for our internal statistical and analytics purposes.
Consent: Processing of Sensitive Personal Information for purposes stated above.
|To evaluate and determine whether financial aid opportunities are available to an applicant||Name, address, contact details, demographic information, salary history, tax forms and other relevant information to evaluate financial aid eligibility and opportunities||Legitimate Interest: Personal Information collected through the financial aid application is necessary to evaluate whether the applicant is eligible to receive financial aid and for our internal statistical and analytics purposes.
Consent: Processing of Sensitive Personal Information for purposes stated above.
|To support course registration||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Legitimate Interest: Personal Information collected for matriculated students, staff, faculty and members of the public, as appropriate for the course, to register in courses or classes.|
|To process requests for housing and dining services||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Legitimate Interest: Personal Information collected to facilitate housing requests and for available meal plans.|
|To provide online training and educational programs||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information, demographic information||Legitimate Interest: To facilitate provision of on-line education courses to matriculated students, staff, faculty and members of the public, as appropriate for the course.|
|To enroll interested individuals in research opportunities||Name, contact information||Legitimate Interest: Upon request from the individual, inform registrants about research opportunities.|
|To enroll in wellness programs||Name, A&M UIN or NetID||Legitimate Interest: For eligible individuals interested in participating in a variety of wellness programs, courses, activities, facilitate enrollment and communications about the programs.
Contract: If there is a contract for participation in wellness programs, Personal Information is processed pursuant to that contract.
|To process employment applications||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, demographic information, resumes||Legitimate Interest: For individuals interested in employment opportunities, processing applications.|
|To process visa applications||Name, demographic information, financial information, passport number||Legal Requirements|
|To receive donations||Name, contact information, payment information||Legitimate Interest: To collect and process donations/gifts and donor information.|
|To receive brochures or other information||Name, contact information||Legitimate Interest: To send brochures or other requested information.|
|To purchase tickets to events||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Contract: To process ticket payment for a variety of events.|
|For event registration||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Legitimate Interest: To process registration for sports, cultural, educational and other university events.|
|To purchase parking passes and permits||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Contract: To facilitate payments for parking passes and permits.|
|To submit requests for services||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information||Legitimate Interest: To process service requests from students, staff and faculty.
Contract: If there is a contract that governs your use of such services, Personal Information is processed pursuant to that contract.
|Website account registration||Name, contact information, alumni status||Legitimate Interest: For websites that require registration for access, to facilitate the registration.|
|Travel sites||Name, A&M UIN or NetID, contact information, passport number, loyalty membership information, emergency contacts||Legitimate Interest: To facilitate travel arrangements and coordination for students and affiliated travelers through A&M programs.
Contract: If there is a contract that governs your use of travel sites, Personal Information is processed pursuant to that contract.
A cookie is a file designed to contain a small amount of user and website information stored on a user’s computer. The file interacts with the user and the website to provide a webpage tailored to the user through its awareness of information held within the file. Cookies also have the ability to carry all or parts of the information stored within the file to other websites that the user may visit or to third parties.
Types of Cookies
A third-party cookie is placed by a domain other than that of the website the user is visiting.
A session cookie is temporary, linking the actions of a user during the any given browser session. When the browser is closed, the cookie is deleted.
A permanent cookie, also known as a persistent cookie, is stored for a specific period of time and activates each time the user visits the website that created the cookie.
We use third-party, session and persistent cookies and similar technology to collect aggregate (non-personal) information about Sites usage by all of our visitors and to help us remember you and your preferences when you revisit the Sites. These cookies may stay on your browser into the future until they expire or you delete them. We also use technology to remember you the next time you log in. Some of these cookies are erased when you close your browser window and some persist for a period of time. Further general information about cookies and how they work is available at www.allaboutcookies.org.
We may allow selected third parties to place cookies through the Sites to provide us with better insights into the use of the Sites or user demographics or to provide relevant advertising to you. These third parties may collect information about a user’s online activities over time and across different websites when he or she uses our Sites.
Adjusting Cookie Settings
You can change your cookie settings by reviewing your internet browser’s cookie options. Most popular browsers will help you understand your cookie options better by visiting their technical support web pages or in the actual browser software itself. Typically, such information can be found under the browser’s ‘Help,’ ‘Preferences’ or ‘Options’ menus.
Some of our Sites engage in online interest-based advertising to enhance your experience and show you advertisements that might interest you. Like many organizations, we and our advertising partners display tailored interest-based advertising using information you make available to us when you interact with our Sites. Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalized or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as searching on our Sites or visiting websites that contain our content or ads. We do this using a variety of digital marketing networks and ad exchanges, and we use a range of advertising technologies like web beacons, pixels, ad tags, cookies, and mobile identifiers.
To learn more about interest-based ads or to opt-out of receiving third-party interest-based ads, please visit youradchoices.com or youronlinechoices.eu. Please note that if you opt out of interest-based advertising, you will still see advertisements – they will just not be tailored to your interests. Also note that deleting browser cookies can remove the cookie preferences you have made, so you may need to opt-out again in the future.
Sharing your Personal Information
International Transfer of Personal Information
If you reside outside of the United States, we will ask you to consent in providing us with your Personal Information. This serves as an acknowledgment that your information will be transferred to the U.S. and processed on servers in the U.S. However, all reasonable steps will be taken to protect your privacy in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Non-personally Identifiable Information we Collect and Process
Standard, non-personally identifiable internet log information such as browser type and navigation to various parts of the Sites, in an aggregated form, is collected for analytical purposes to improve the browsing experience of our Sites, update relevant content, and improve the overall design. We may also collect information such as this for cybersecurity purposes to protect your information.
The A&M System takes the security of your Personal Information seriously. Our security regulations and standards can be found at The Texas A&M University System Policy web page. Members of the A&M System may have additional policies and standards. Please visit your member institution’s website for additional information.
Personal Information you submit through our Sites, such as your name, address and other contact information, may be collected by the A&M System and its members for internal marketing and development purposes, to respond to an inquiry, complete a transaction, or fulfill other forms of customer service. You can choose not to receive marketing from us by “unsubscribing” using the instructions in any marketing email you receive from us.
If you are an individual located in the EEA only, you will have the following rights with regard to your Personal Data:
- Right of access.You may request details of your Personal Information that we hold. We will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Information and we will disclose supplementary information including the categories of Personal Information, the sources from which it originated, the purpose and legal basis for the processing, the expected retention period, and the safeguards regarding Personal Information transfers to non-EEA countries, subject to the limitations set out in applicable statutes, regulations and other laws.
- Right of correction.We will comply with your request to edit and update incorrect Personal Information promptly.
- Right to be forgotten.At your request, we will delete your Personal Information promptly if:
- it is no longer necessary to retain your Personal Information;
- you withdraw the consent which formed the basis of your Personal Information processing;
- you object to the processing of your Personal Information and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for such processing;
- the Personal Information was processed illegally; or
- the Personal Information must be deleted for us to comply with our legal obligations.
We will inform any third parties we might have shared your Personal Information with of your deletion request.
We will decline your request for deletion if the processing of your Personal Information is necessary:
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- in pursuit of a legal action;
- to detect and monitor fraud; or
- for the performance of a task in the public interest.
- Right to restrict processing of your Personal Information.At your request, we will limit the processing of your Personal Information if:
- you dispute the accuracy of your Personal Information;
- your Personal Information was processed unlawfully and you request a limitation on processing, rather than the deletion of your Personal Information;
- we no longer need to process your Personal Information, but you require your Personal Information in connection with a legal claim; or
- you object to the processing pending verification as to whether an overriding legitimate ground for such processing exists.
- Right to notice related to correction, deletion, and limitation on processing.In so far as it is practicable, we will notify you of any correction, deletion, and/or limitation on the processing of your Personal Information.
- Right to data portability.At your request, we will provide you free of charge with your Personal Information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, if: (1) you provided us with Personal Information; (2) the processing of your Personal Information is based on your consent or required for the performance of a contract; or (3) the processing is carried out by automated means.
- Right to object.Where we process your Personal Information based upon our legitimate interest, then you have the right to object to this processing.
- Right not to be subject to decisions based solely on automated processing.You will not be subject to decisions with a legal or similarly significant effect (including profiling) that are based solely on the automated processing of your Personal Information unless you have given us your explicit consent or where they are necessary for a contract with us.
- Right to withdraw consent.You have the right to withdraw any consent you may have previously given us at any time. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our collecting, using and sharing of your Personal Information up to the point in time that you withdraw your consent. Even if you withdraw your consent, we may still use your information that has been fully anonymized and does not personally identify you.
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority.If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to complain to or seek advice from a supervisory authority and/or bring a claim against us in any court of competent jurisdiction.If you wish to contact us in connection with the exercise of your rights listed above, please contact your local privacy officer at the member you attend. They will respond to your written request without unreasonable delay and in accordance with any deadlines imposed by law. Unless we notify you at the time of your request, you will not be charged any fee in connection with the exercising of your rights.
We keep your Personal Information for as long as needed to fulfill the particular purpose for which it was collected. We may also retain your records if legally required or to fulfill a legitimate interest. Each member of the A&M System may have different retention policies for various kinds of information, aside from legal and regulatory retention requirements.
For more information on how we collect and process your Personal Information, or if you have any complaints, please contact the local data protection officer (DPO) or the local compliance officer at the A&M member you are dealing with.