March 12, 2019, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
In Person: 700 University Drive, Suite 104 Room 113 College Station, TX 77840
- Old Business / Pending Items
- The quarterly process to verify employee information with the SSA has been changed to run the last day of February, May, August and November. The February run failed with some formatting errors I am still trying to resolve. I will let the member payroll offices know once the problem has been resolved and the exceptions are available for review.
- Join us for the A&M System IT Shared Services Conference, Journey to Success 2019! This event is being held at the new Texas A&M Hotel and Conference Center on the Texas A&M University campus across from Kyle Field. Join us on April 8 and 9 to learn and collaborate in our journey to success!
- Responses on BPP Website use were very limited. For those that responded, the only things still being used are on the Calendars, Contacts and Security tabs. The plan is to port the relevant items from these tabs over to the new Workday Help site and take down the old BPP site.
- Once you have made corrections in Workday that impact a 2018 W-2, email me the UIN/s. I will then create the W-2C data and forms in Workday. After you have reviewed for accuracy I can publish, making it available to the employee. You will still need to file the information with the SSA, just like you have always done.
- Core HR
- We recently implemented the Report No Show business process to assist with rescinding a hire when the new employee does not show up for the first day of work. We are seeing cases in which an HR Partner is using the Correcting function to change the hire date to be a week or more later in the future so that the ability to use Report No Show falls within the 15 day limit. Do not artificially change the hire effective date originally agreed upon with the new employee to get around the 15 day limit. A successfully completed hire event is recorded in multiple SSO systems with a specific effective date; when you fast-forward that date and then rescind via Report No Show, it will orphan the position’s information for that edited period.
- Just a reminder that when a user selects Saved for Later in a step, the step is no longer available for someone else with the same security role. This includes To Do steps. If the process is still in progress, the Saved for Later action will prohibit another business process of the same type from being initiated and can impact integrations of data to FAMIS or other downstream systems.
- Encourage System Members who will be using Workday Merit to review management hierarchy to assure the manager and direct report relationship is correct and follows the supervisory organization superior and subordinate alignment. HR and Organization Partners can select Navigate Hierarchy and print the hierarchy to review in hard copy. Managers can help too by using the My Team worklet to view their employees, and My Org Chart to see the management hierarchy.
- Upcoming training opportunities:
- March 19th: Spotlight on Performance
- March 20th: Reassign Task
- March 26th: Verify National ID
- April 17th: Welcome to the Recruiting Hub (invitations pending)
- April 25th: Merit Kick-Off (invitations pending)
- For more information, please submit a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The training team is working on creating a more streamlined invitation process to minimize emails, increase awareness to the appropriate end-user, and improve consistent access to necessary details.
- Time and Absence
- Calculations need to run on the timesheet for holiday or early release hours to populate.
- Calculations will run automatically when an employee enters or edits time during the week.
- Employee, Time Keeper and Payroll Partner security roles can also run calculations by selecting this option from the Enter Time menu on the bottom left-hand corner of the Employee’s time sheet. This is useful if the employee has taken time off for the rest of the week and does not need to enter hours worked.
- The Timekeeper and Payroll Partner can choose to run calculations “in mass” for multiple Employees at one time. Here are the steps:
- Search for Run Time Calculations for a Date Range report.
- Select the workers for whom you’d like to run calculations.
- Enter Run Frequency [Run Now].
- Enter a Request Name.
- Select a Start Date and End Date to define the date range for calculations.
- Click OK to run process.
- To help identify terminated employees potentially being paid in error it is recommended you run the “Pay Calculation Results For a Period” report prior to every payroll calculation. It would be wise to send a reminder to the departments that this report needs to be reviewed and acted upon prior to payroll calculation, completion and settlement.
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Please DO NOT cancel or abort a payroll calculation process once it has started. Cancelling a running process before it completes can cause problems with the accounting entries downstream. If you feel like you need to cancel/abort a process please contact Workday Services Operations or Payroll first.
- It is highly recommended that you complete your retro processing the day/night BEFORE we calculate the payroll. If you wait until the morning of the payroll calculation the competition for resources is much greater and just slows everything else down. This is why we ask you to complete it by close of business the day before the payroll calculation and settlement.
- For off-cycle payments, please make sure you use the correct pay date for the cycle we are processing. We continue to see this problem on most payrolls.
- For off-cycle payments, please use a pay period already completed. Do not put these on a future pay period. There is no guarantee that we are going to catch these and give you the opportunity to fix them, which delays the process for everyone. It’s more likely that they will not be processed.
- When you are “ready for payroll” please do not start working on the next payroll until you receive the inbox item regarding tax reporting for the payroll we are running.
- When you see that a report or job is in a ‘queued’ status it only make matters worse when you submit the same process again. All that does is add more to the already full queue.
- For assistance with workday, please email email@example.com.
- For the latest Workday Updates, see the System Updates tab on the Workday Help site: https://it.tamus.edu/workday/system-updates/.
Next Meeting May 14