Some people find it convenient to use a mobile phone with two-factor authentication because it is often readily available, especially when working away from the office.
There are three ways to use a mobile phone with Duo.
It is possible to enroll a mobile phone without choosing an operating system type by choosing “Other (and cell phones)”. This is the only choice for older mobile phones.
- When selected as the two-factor method, Duo will call the mobile phone. Once the call is answered, pressing any number on the phone’s keypad will complete the login.
This is a 6-digit number entered in to SSO on the Duo authentication page. A passcode can be used as a two-factor authentication method when cellular service is unavailable.
- A list of 10 passcodes can be texted to a mobile phone during the SSO login process.
- A passcode can be generated on-demand from the Duo Mobile app by pressing the ‘key’ icon from the appropriate Duo account.
- A passcode can only be used once.
- Passcode feature isn’t available with landlines.
- Learn about using the Passcode feature.
Duo Mobile app
This is the free mobile application from Duo that is downloaded from the device’s app store.
- The app may ask for access permission to the phone’s camera as it needs to scan a bar code on the computer’s monitor to activate the device.
- During the login process to SSO, the app will ‘push’ a notification to the phone for the user to acknowledge.
- There may be network connectivity issues that won’t allow the device to receive the notification so an alternate two-factor method should be available, such as a passcode or landline.
- Learn about activating the Duo Push mobile app.