There is a CIO Chat on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.
The Digital COE meets at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday.
The 2018 Tech Summit Call for Presentations closes in three weeks. If you want to present a breakout session at the Texas A&M University System Technology Summit and receive a 25% discount on registration for the February 26–28 conference, submit your proposal today! The Call for Presentations closes at midnight, Friday September 22, 2017.
The University of Texas passed this information along about GDPR from UT counsel:
“GDPR, The EU’s new General Data Privacy Protection Regulation is a burgeoning topic even in the US. It WILL apply to us to various ways and has an effective date of 25 May 2018. Ana Vieira (OGC) and Cristina Blanton (Privacy officer) are very much aware and are researching it. Early indications are that we have a lot already in place. Ana and team are building FAQs for us. In the meantime, let me share two recent EDUCASUE articles. The first is more detailed. Nope, I am not suggesting action now; it seems prudent to me to wait for guidance from Ana and Cristina. But learning a bit about GPDR seems like a good step, especially since what we knew about EU privacy laws on how they affect us will change.”
Another note from ITCHE related to the new IR reporting requirements:
“Please note that effective today, we are required to report to DIR within 48 hours a breach or suspected breach of system security or an unauthorized exposure of data for any system that has sensitive personal information, confidential information, or information the disclosure of which is required by law.” Danny Miller notes that this lines up with our existing notification matrix, which is going to be a standard underneath 29.01.03.
System-Wide Contracting News
Current System-wide Contracts
- Access Data provides members with preservation hold software (in annual assessment)
- Banner COE provides members with Banner-related services (discretionary)
- Cisco SmartNet (discretionary)
- Comevo provides members with online orientation software services (discretionary contract)
- Diligent provides board portal functionality for all members (discretionary)
- Docusign provides members with electronic signature and related workflow capabilities (discretionary)
- Duo provides two-factor authentication for all members (discretionary)
- Examity provides members with on-line proctoring services under a one-year master contract (discretionary contract)
- Hootsuite enables members to manage social networks, schedule messages and measure social media from a dashboard (discretionary)
- Laserfiche provides members with the digitization of documents, the automation of records processing, storage retrieval, security and archiving (discretionary)
- Modo Labs provides mobile application development support (discretionary)
- ProctorU provides members with on-line proctoring services under a one-year master contract (discretionary contract)
- Proofpoint email filtering and data loss prevention tools (in annual assessment)
- Siteimprove checks web pages, every five days, for spelling, grammar, broken links and accessibility. The cost is 54 cents per web page per year. Any member interested in adding this service need to contact me directly. (discretionary)
- Syncplicity licensing is available for all members (in annual assessment)
- WebEx is available to all members. Faculty/administrators can obtain licenses at the low cost of $1.44/month/license. (discretionary)
- WebQA is the TAMUS approved Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) solution for all members (in annual assessment)
System-wide Contracts Under Development
- Captioning Services will provide members with closed caption, transcription and subtitling solutions to make video accessible, searchable, SEO-friendly and more engaging
- On-line Course Evaluation Services will provide members with tools that allow students to evaluate academic courses (including instructors). Here is a concise status on our Course Evaluation tool efforts: 1) Explorance – Agreement is fully executed. Please be aware of the following time constraints for this Fall from Samer Saab, CEO of Explorance: “If anyone plans to implement Blue for Fall 2017, we must ensure they are fully committed prior to August 29. Our Professional Services team meets on the 29th at 2:00pm to allocate appropriate resources for Fall. Important date to keep in mind.” 2) IOTA – awaiting final review & signature by IOTA. 3) GAP Technologies – awaiting final review & signature by GAP. 4) Scantron – pending final review at their corporate office.
- Learning Management Systems RFP responses have been received; a committee has been formed to begin the process of reviewing those responses
- Maxient will provide members with a tool to manage student discipline, academic integrity and Title IX matters
- Proctoring Solutions RFP is being reviewed by OGC
Workday (Project Helios)
- The team continued to close System Integration Testing defects.
- Business Process coaches were unable to meet with members this week due to travel impacts from Hurricane Harvey. The coaches will work with each member to adjust their schedule.
- The system integration testing team defined schedules for the end to end scenarios that will be tested. Testing with members will occur in October.
- Texas A&M (September 4th)